Now that I have gotten in the groove of having the kids back in school and the hubby away, it's time to start working on some projects for myself. I have a rough plan in mind for a new quilt for my bed based on the Uneven Coins block in the book Block Party. I have a whole stack of Indie, plus yards of navy solid to use with it. I just need to make myself cut into it and get started.
I spotted this Cathedral Window quilt-a-long last week and thought maybe I'd use it to make some pillows to go with my quilt. I like "a-longs" because I usually learn new techniques and make something I otherwise wouldn't. Today was Block 1, a layered cathedral window from Sara at Sew Sweetness. I love her choice of fabrics, as usual. I also really like the look of the finished block. But when I realized how much fabric goes into one 12" block (almost half a yard, really), I put away my special quilt stash and pulled out some things from the back of my fabric drawer to use first. I paid attention to my print directions and order of assembly to make the design of the block stand out more than it does in Sara's scrappy version. I really like the end result. However, there are 5 layers of fabric in most spots on the block. That means you sew through 10 layers to join the four squares together. I felt like I should have pulled out my walking foot. I can't imagine making a quilt using this block. It would be very heavy. It would make a great pillow, though, which is what mine may become. Eventually.
I'm looking forward to the next block on Thursday, and will probably use the same fabrics as long as I have enough of them. In the end maybe I'll go back and choose my favorite blocks to go with my quilt. That I still need to start. Hmph.