Luckily, I ordered myself more Indie a couple of weeks ago. I pulled out a pattern by Michelle Patterns that I used several months ago for a laptop sleeve. I wasn't happy with the results at the time (which is unusual for a pattern by Michelle--her stuff is generally awesome). The velcro on the flap didn't line up correctly, the case was a little too bulky, and the laptop didn't quite fit into the sleeve. I reworked the pattern a bit, making it a little taller and adding a wide zippered pocket across the top to hold my iPad and the charging cord for my MacBook. Rather than use Velcro to close the flap, I borrowed the method I am using in my coffee cup sleeves and made two elastic loop and button closures. Now the flap can expand to accommodate the added bulk when I put my power cord in the pocket.
And now I can retire my old Vera Bradley laptop bag that is pretty far from my current style in favor of my awesome new Indie sleeve. Hooray!