Ack, I missed posting block 2. It was a super-cool design by Bree that has lots of motion. I stuck with using fabrics from my "to experiment with" fabric pile, and came up with a very flowy block.
It reminds me of fall, which is just about over in my neck of the woods.
Block 3 instructions were posted on Monday, and I had a lightbulb moment. This block is so fun and modern looking. It made me switch from my experimental stash to my "saving for just the right project" stash. I have a combination of fabrics from Outfoxed and Fly a Kite that I wanted to use for a lap-ish sized quilt for my living room, and this block is a great way to showcase the fun prints!
I loved making Block 3, because it was quite a challenge to get it all together correctly. The directions were very clear, though. I did have a couple of slip-ups that could have been prevented with a little more pre-planning. I cut the focus pieces oriented as squares, and then had to go back and re-cut them as diamonds. I also didn't think about the darker frame fabric showing through the lighter focus fabrics when the block was complete. I left that as-is, but I'll be sure to think about that if I make another. My only real issue with the finished block is that the areas containing the focus pieces are a bit stiff due to the iron-on adhesive I used. It may have been heavier-weight than what was called for in the directions, but I just used what I had on hand. Oops. Next time, I might just try basting the focus fabric squared onto the frame fabric instead.
I think I'll go back and re-do blocks 1 and 2 in these fabrics so I can use them all together. I am really loving the completely modern spin on the traditional cathedral window pattern!