Wednesday, January 23, 2013

What I'm Working On: Indie Quilt

I have been hoarding my stash of lovely Indie fabric by Pat Bravo ever since it arrived in my mailbox many months ago.  I knew I wanted to make a quilt for my bed with it, especially after seeing Maureen's.  But I wanted to take my time with it, making sure that I think it through enough beforehand so that I love it in the end.  The fabrics are a mix of florals and geometrics in gorgeous jewel tones. To ground them (and make it a bit more "manly") I am pairing them with a navy Moda Bella solid.


I've been saving ideas on a Pinterest board and collecting some fun coordinating accessories to tie the quilt in to the rest of the room.  The hard part is that I don't know what the room itself will look like--by the time I get this project finished, we will be moving to a new house/town/state thanks to the good old US Coast Guard.  But I want to have it ready to go when we get there, wherever there may be.

Birch-inspired prints by Alaskan artist Katie Sevigny

I snagged two of these awesome wall hooks in the clearance room at Blackbeary Bog in Homer.


I started cutting the fabric this week.  I don't want it to look too planned, but I am just not the type of person who can dive in with no plan at all!  I am basing my design on the Uneven Coins quilt in Block Party.  But I want my "coins" to be large enough to showcase the large-scale prints of the fabric.


 I'm going to try out a method for making the strips that I found in my new book from Tula Pink.  I think it will be a real time saver.


The plan is to make 5 columns of "coins", each column quilted as I go using the method I learned in Rachael's stocking pattern.  Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

  1. ooh... i love this idea! i have a quilt i started work on, um, possibly ages ago with the same idea in mind (with anna maria voiles). i should get that back out of the closet... someday ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! I love to hear what you think about my projects.