Sunday, August 5, 2012

Getting Scrappy

Sheesh, almost an entire month since my last post!  As much as I love summer, I'm very ready for the start of fall, which brings school, routine, and more time to sew!

I have been fitting in small projects here and there.
Canvas and cotton nesting bowls
Cotton and linen potholders

Linen and cotton nesting bowls

Linen and cotton wallets

But my largest project in the works, a queen-sized quilt for my bed, has been at a standstill.  As much as I love making the New York Beauty blocks that I had originally intended to solely use, meandering their way around the quilt, I just don't think it's practical to stick to the original plan if I ever want to actually finish the quilt.

My New York Beauty blocks awaiting some company

That point was reaffirmed this weekend when I found this stack of paper-pieced blocks that I started at least 5 years ago.

Hmmm...maybe these need to become something new...iPad cases? Cosmetics bags?

I had a lightbulb moment the other night regarding the quilt.  My original intent was to make it more modern than traditional.  Starting with the very traditional paper-pieced blocks, I needed to add something much less conventional to achieve the modern look.  I am always inspired by Maureen Cracknell's beautiful projects and color choices, and I remembered some scrappy chevron blocks she shared awhile back.  My new plan is to make strips of scrappy chevrons and mix them in with my New York Beauties and some strips of solid gray.  I'm using the tutorial at Six White Horses for the chevrons.  This scrappy, not-so-planned idea is much more forgiving and fun, even though I do find paper piecing relaxing.  I cut a bunch of strips tonight.  Stay tuned for the results!

Strips ready to get scrappy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a note! I love to hear what you think about my projects.