Thursday, February 23, 2012

What I'm Working On: Stash Building

Now that my Etsy shop is up and running (and turning a little bit of profit), I have started buying fabrics that I love just because I love them.  I have several projects in mind, but I love these fabrics so much that I am almost afraid to cut them!  Washing them is the first step, so into the laundry they go while I contemplate what to start on first.

I have wanted these since I first saw them!  They are from the Washi collection by Rashida Coleman Hale.  I love the charcoal background coupled with the bright colors.  I plan to make myself a bag from them, but I'm still toying with the design.  They will also make super cute makeup bags and iPad/Kindle cases. Just waiting on my latest shipment of zippers from ZipIt before getting to work.


I picked up these two prints from the Echo line after seeing a gorgeous tote made from the charcoal print by Ivey Expressions in the Hawthorne Threads newsletter a few weeks ago.  The gray in the fabric on the left isn't an exact match for the charcoal in the other, so I'm not quite sure what I will end up making with them.  




This next set is not my usual taste, but it is so darn cute I had to try it.  It's from the Fly a Kite line.  I have bookmarked a cathedral window quilt block made by folding the background fabric oragami-style, and I think this fabric would be perfect to try it out with.  Then maybe it will become something with a zipper.


If you know me, you will find an uncanny likeness in this print to my own kids!  Right down to the red-headed boy and curly girl...

Finally, I found a fabulous deal on The Intrepid Thread for half-yards of the entire collection of the Primitiva line.  The purples and oranges really jumped out at me, and it's not too "girly" to end up as a quilt for my own bed.  I've been keeping a collection of modern quilt ideas on Pinterest and hope to somehow use these fabrics to create my first "modern" quilt.  I have quilted in the past, but only using the traditional block structure.

I haven't yet decided if I want to use just part of the collection...


Or the entire thing...

And if I am going to use the true "modern" style, I should probably add some solids.  But I thought these may function as solids/backgrounds, depending on what I end up with.


I like structure, so piecing a quilt on the fly is going to be tough for me.  I ordered a book about it, of course.  Anyone have tips to get me started on a fun design with these fabrics?

2 comments:

  1. Stash building is lots of fun! Be careful...gets out of control FAS T

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! I love to hear what you think about my projects.