Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sew-Alongs: Getting Things Done

Pleated Clutches, from a pattern by Keyka Lou, headed to a local boutique
I have spent the past few weeks sewing up orders for others.  I enjoy sending my goods out to those who love them, but I am so looking forward to starting on some things for myself this week. Since I do better with smaller projects (I have a bit of sewing ADD), I decided to join a couple of sew-a-longs that have recently caught my eye.

First up is the Zakka Style sew-a-long, hosted by LRstitched.  The book we will be sewing through is compiled by Rashida Coleman-Hale, designer of the Washi line of fabric that I have been holding on to, waiting for just the right project to come along.  I think this fits perfectly!  The sew-a-long starts tomorrow with a zig-zag tote bag...which also seems to fit nicely with my theme of chevrons lately.  Staying true to my usual re-design-it-myself style, I plan to take the basic idea of the tote and turn it into a slightly different shape that looks more like a handbag.



I have also been eyeing the New York Beauty quilt-a-long hosted over at Sew Sweetness.  My bed is screaming for a new quilt, and I have been hoping to try a more modern style of quilting than I have done in the past.  I ordered some charcoal Kona cotton to use with these Poetica by Jane Dixon half-yards, and plan to make 4 of each New York Beauty block.  I'm going to assemble them in a very non-traditional, meandering sort of way with lots of negative space.  Or so I think, anyway.  We shall see.  I'm 4 weeks behind on the blocks, so I need to get started as soon as my solid arrives.

My bed's new quilt...eventually

Of course, I also have a few more custom orders to make up this week as well.  I have put a hold on taking new custom orders on my Etsy shop until mid-April.  I may add a few things to my shop in the meantime, but I am focusing mainly on things to keep this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a note! I love to hear what you think about my projects.