Friday, November 30, 2012

Holiday Makings

Now that I'm done with the one craft show I decided to do this year, I have turned my focus to a list of handmade Christmas gifts for friends and family.

First up was these awesome stockings from a tutorial by imagine gnats.  I had already been eyeing these fun, modern fabrics from the Winterkist collection, so when I saw the tutorial I knew it was meant to be!  I loved making them.  Rachael's method of quilting as you go was new to me, and it turned out beautifully.  I did end up having to piece the lining fabric together to get pieces large enough for the pattern, but that probably could have been avoided had I paid more attention when cutting out the fabric strips for the stocking fronts.  I think the hand-cut felt names really complete the stockings.  I made these for my brother, his partner, and my yet-to-be born first nephew.  I made the baby's stocking in a combo of colors from each parent's.  If you know them, don't tell them about these yet!  It's a pretty safe bet that they won't see them here, and I will have them in the mail on their way next week.




Next up is a lap quilt by special request for my step-mother, who is in a residential facility with Alzheimer's.  I chose a cheery jelly roll by Valori Wells and made some funky log cabin blocks.  I need to trim them and add some charcoal gray sashing, and then quilt it.  I'm hoping to get this one done by Monday!

After that, I have some reusable grocery totes to whip up.   I lucked out and managed to hit the Joann's Black Friday sale!


I also am going to try out this tutorial for fabric Christmas ornaments.  I'm not so sure about using hot glue to assemble them.  I'll let you know how they turn out.


Be sure to check back on Monday...I'll be participating in Sew, Mama, Sew!'s Giveaway Day.  It was a ton of fun last year, visiting hundreds of new blogs and discovering great new handmade items.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a note! I love to hear what you think about my projects.